Even through consumers are more eco aware and seek to purchase green products, it has become increasingly difficult to do so as greenwashing affects 98% of products with ‘all-natural’ and ‘organic’ labelling. Shoppers are confused and frustrated by false and misleading claims and indecipherable ingredient lists on labels. With this in mind, Green Seal has developed a standard to help consumers identify what is really green and what isn’t when shopping the personal care aisle.
Products can now be Green Seal certified under its environmental leadership standard for soaps, cleansers, and shower products. It’s the first-ever standard to comprehensively address the health, environmental, and labeling concerns of infants, children and adults. Now consumers can use this standard as a guide — no more deciphering unclear product claims or taking the manufacturer’s word for it.
Products that get the Green Seal have the following traits.
- The label will only be labeled “natural” or “organic” if it really is.
- No hidden health hazards such as ingredients that are contaminated with carcinogens like formaldehyde and 1, 4-dioxane.
- The products are safe to wash down your drain and into the environment.
- The packaging relies less on fossil fuels/petroleum, for a lesser environmental impact.
- It has to prove to work as well as or better than a conventional product.
- All ingredients are on the label including fragrances or known allergens.
© 2009, Tracey de Morsella. All rights reserved. Do not republish.