Social Media goes hand in hand with corporate social responsibility, sustainability, and community investment, but figuring it all out can be daunting. Here are some rules you must know, people you must meet, and tools you must have.
When you decide to venture out past Facebook there is a lot to learn about social media. At first it seems daunting, but everyone learns the same way: by doing. Just remember, each social media platform has unique rules and processes for communication. They are all relatively similar and once you get the hang of it, youʼll find it becomes fairly intuitive.
Learn the rules
Remember, the rules of society are essentially the same within social media:
- Listen and learn – a lot!
- Be gracious & generous
- Reciprocate & Connect people
- Be personable & Engage others
- Offer actual value
- Donʼt sell stuff
Here is a great infographic on the Do’s and Don’ts of Social Media we found on http://visual.ly/
Find your community
We love using twitter. But starting out it can be pretty tough finding quality people to follow. Here are some links that offer great information and lead to other sites with great information. Take some time to browse through them – youʼre community of quality people will increase effortlessly.
Check out our related resources: What Twitter Does for Corporate Social Responsibility and The Ultimate Green Twitter Hashtag List: Build Your Online Green Twitter Following that provides 150+ Twitter hashtags that can help you gain Twitter followers interested in cleantech, sustainability, green building, climate change and other green topics.
- Find anything on twitter:# http://search.twitter.com/
- Find lists of people to follow on twitter: http://tweepml.org/
- Find the right people/places/issues: http://www.twellow.com/
- Find topics and communities: http://www.tweetizen.com/
- Find executives to follow: http://exectweets.com/
- Find people and communities: http://mrtweet.com/
- Find anyone, anywhere: http://www.peekyou.com/
- Discover lists of people on Twitter: http://listorious.com/
- List interests and find others who share them: http://wefollow.com/
- Lists created by other people and easy to follow with just one click: http://tweepml.org/
- Find more executives you want to follow (be sure to check out the ‘lists’ for even more people to follow): http://twitter.com/#!/exectweets
- Figure out what the hashtag means: http://tagal.us/
- Find upcoming trends and perform custom searches http://twitterfall.com/
- 8 Easy Ways to Network on Twitter http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/8-easy-ways-to-network-on-twitter/
If you want to find and connect with an incredible online community focused on CSR, Corporate Citizenship, Sustainability, Employee Volunteering, and all things Green – here are 16 great sites that will help you build your network.
If you want to connect to stakeholders using social media here are some new realities to remember.
If you’re planning on putting together a conference and you want to know how to make it social media friendly, read this.
If you’re planning an awards program for CSR, Corporate Citizenship or Corporate volunteering these tips may come in useful.
Related posts: “Tapping Social Media’s Potential To Muster a Vast Green Army“, looks at rapidly expanding universe of citizens’ groups, researchers, and environmental organizations are making use of social media and smart phone applications to document changes in the natural world and to mobilize support for taking action.
About the Authors
Using Social Media to Connect With Your Customers Online: Free 93 Page eBook -- Social media isn't just a list of destinations. It's a new standard of expectations. Connect with your customers online or your competitors will. This invaluable eBook will guide marketers through the most practical, useful and marketing-friendly technology tools like blogs, email, widgets and video. This eBook takes that one step further and offers more than 90 insight-drenched pages covering the following topics: Social Media – What is it?; Social Media Strategies & Channels for Sales and Marketing; Why you should care; What to do next; What's Possible? With this free eBook you will also receive weekly marketing news, tips, and advice delivered to your inbox. -- Receive Your Complimentary eBook NOW!>>
© 2011, GEP- Admin. All rights reserved. Do not republish.