The Clinton Global Initiative (CGI) was launched by former President Clinton in 2005, bringing together a community of global leaders (CGI “members”) to devise and implement innovative solutions to some of the world’s most pressing challenges. CGI focuses primarily on combating climate change, improving education, promoting global health, and alleviating poverty. All CGI members-who come from diverse backgrounds including business, non-government organizations, foundations, philanthropy, and government-are required to make a specific action, “commitment,” each year to help address one or more of these problems. After four years, more than 1400 CGI member commitments have been made. These commitments have improved more than 200 million lives in over 150 countries. Members make commitments that range in form from purely philanthropic to new business models and practices that create financial return while generating social and environmental value. Many commitments involve cross-partnerships leveraging the unique expertise of CGI’s diverse membership.
Position Overview: The Commitments Department has the primary responsibility for establishing and executing the strategy for helping CGI members develop new commitments. The Senior Manager, for Commitment Development/Environmental Sustainability will manage relationships with CGI members, educating and guiding them through the commitment development process and helping them to identify partners as appropriate. She/he works closely with the CGI Commitments Director and a network of external expert advisors to develop member commitments. She/he will also collect and analyze commitment data for program evaluation and external communication purposes.
* Work closely with the Commitments Director and our network of expert advisors to establish annual performance targets, commitment outreach strategy, and commitment development methodology
* Advise CGI members as they develop their commitments and broker partnerships between members
* Work closely with other staff in the Commitments Department and CGI to develop effective outreach materials
* Research and engage potential CGI members who present strong prospects for commitments generation
* Manage department’s outreach to members who are expected to make commitments in the area of environmental sustainability
* Respond to inquiries from commitment-makers in a timely, professional fashion
Information Management and Communications:
* With other CGI staff implement an effective approach to information management related to commitments to ensure effective customer service and to enable the tracking of commitment progress and impacts over time
* Participate in the ongoing assessment of the performance of member commitments
* Create and update commitment case records consistent with the needs and protocol of the Commitments Department
* Work closely with other Commitments Department staff to develop an approach to reporting both qualitative and quantitative data about commitments that generate deeper understanding among members and the broader public about the nature and impact of commitments
* Work closely with other Commitments Department staff and the Communications to produce publications and materials about commitments to support media outreach
Program Planning and Logistics
* Work closely with the CGI Programming Department to ensure that opportunities for showcasing commitments are maximized at CGI’s Annual Meeting and to help design other program elements for the meeting
* Manage the showcasing of new commitments at CGI events
* Master’s degree required.
* Minimum of five to seven years experience in general project management and/or policy in climate change/environmental sustainability
* The successful candidate is required to have strong knowledge of the international development field and implementation of programs in the business, non-profit, and public sectors
* Work experience in the private sector and developing countries is desirable
* Event planning experience welcomed but not required.
* Knowledge of Excel and basic statistics required; knowledge of Raiser’s Edge (or other relational data bases) preferred but not required.
* Experience in developing and managing relationships with diverse groups/environments and individuals.
Other Desired Competencies
* Strong relationship management and oral and written communication skills
* Entrepreneurial spirit, with a flexibility to work with individuals with varying work styles
* Ability to adapt and work within a multicultural, multilingual, multidisciplinary environment
* Demonstrates ability to acquire understanding and absorb new information rapidly
* Empathic communicator, able to see things from the other person’s point of view
* Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook
* Constantly benchmarks ‘best practices’
* Plans, organizes, schedules, and budgets in an efficient, productive manner
* Focuses on key priorities
* Effectively juggles multiple projects
* A natural forward planner who critically assesses own performance
IN THE SAME DOCUMENT AS YOUR RESUME, PLEASE INCLUDE:
* Contact information for three references
* A 3 – 5 page original writing sample
Click the following link on the Clinton Foundation Web Site to Apply
© 2009, Tracey de Morsella. All rights reserved. Do not republish.