Job Overview: The Executive Director will work with an engaged and active Board of Directors to implement the mission, vision and strategic plan of the organization. The Executive Director has the unique opportunity of implementing the strategic plan to position the Georgia Chapter as leading partner in the field of “green” buildings, Statewide.
Company/Organization: U.S. Green Building Council Georgia Chapter
Company/Organization Description: The USGBC Georgia Chapter is a 501(c)(3) non-profit dedicated to integrating sound business practices and environmentally responsible design, development and construction throughout the State of Georgia. USGBC-Georgia members also work to influence public policy and educate business leaders on the economics of green buildings. We sponsor special projects and provide resources to members including monthly educational meetings, a monthly newsletter, a robust network of green building professionals, training and education. The Georgia Chapter governs two active Branches in Atlanta and Savannah and is actively working with other Georgia Communities to grow the Branch network.
Position Description: Perform duties associated with the Executive Director of 501(c)3 non-profit corporation, including maintenance of 501(c)(3) tax exempt status:
* Ensure appropriate and adequate insurance coverage for the Board and Chapter.
* Ensure compliance with all State and Federal regulations.
* Oversee management of Chapter finances, including all reporting obligations.
* Work with the Treasurer and/or Accountant in supervising the financial management or the Chapter including budget preparation, financial reporting and analysis, monitoring budget and ensuring fiscal responsibility and sustainability.
* Manage the Chapter’s administrative staff including interns to provide effective use of staff time for the benefit of the Chapter. Assist in identifying needs for additional administrative staff, assist with recruitment, hiring and budgeting for staff positions.
Provide leadership and assistance to the State Board of Directors:
* Co-direct the development and implementation of a continuing 5-year strategic plan with associated 1-year business plan and budget.
* Attend and participate in all meetings of the Chapter Board of Directors (Board) but do not sit on the Board as a voting member.
* Serve as a primary contact to the Board.
* Assist statewide chapter expansion through branch development. Support existing branches.
* Support the Board with materials necessary to perform its leadership role.
* Establish Chapter policies and procedures with approval of the Board.
* Support Board with materials necessary to perform its leadership role.
* Prepare Chapter annual progress report
Ensure compliance with USGBC-National (USGBC) policies and align Chapter activities with US Green Building Councils Chapter Guidelines.
* Serve as point-of-contact to and collaborate with USGBC and other chapters; stay informed on all LEED, chapter best practices and chapter-related issues.
* Develop and implement a fundraising strategy and serve as the primary point of contact for donors.
* Solicit Statewide donors
* Assist branches with solicitation plans for local branch sponsors
* Research potential grant opportunities and prepare grant proposals
Volunteer Committee Support and Outreach
* Coordinate the activities and act as liaison between the standing Chapter committees.
* Raise visibility of Chapter and increase relevancy within community context.
* Develop partnerships and alliances with government, community and private entities to further Chapter goals and objectives.
* Serve as informational conduit about green building practices, standards, market dynamics, and their associated benefits.
* Serve as Chapter representative to local, regional and national constituencies.
* Undertake any other work deemed necessary to accomplish the mission of the Georgia Chapter.
* 5 or more years of experience in a management position with non-profit organization (active participation in a board leadership role for a non-profit or trade association may be considered).
* Experience fundraising on behalf of a non-profit with demonstrated success in soliciting sponsors.
* Fully committed to and engaged in environmental and social issues and a passion to promote green building and further the Chapter’s mission.
* A bachelor’s degree or higher in business administration or environmental science/sustainability is preferred. Other, relevant degrees will be considered.
* US citizenship required.
* Experience with strategic and business planning including financial management, budgeting and bookkeeping.
* Experience with project management and interpersonal skills.
* Strong communication skills including writing, preparing presentations and public speaking.
* Past residency and/or work in Georgia is preferred but not required.
Desired Skills: An analytical mind able to quickly assess large amounts of information and data is very important, as is the ability to consider and evaluate the interrelationships of volunteer coordination. Exceptional organization combined with leadership, entrepreneurial spirit, self-confidence, motivation, sound business judgment, decisiveness, flexibility, perseverance and determination. Highly developed social skills are also desired, including high degree of comfort with frequent (often last minute) public presentations and constant networking.
To Apply: Qualified applicants may email application materials (current resume, at least three references and cover letter) to usgbcga_AT_gmail_DOT_com with “Executive Director Application” in the subject line.
© 2009, Tracey de Morsella. All rights reserved. Do not republish.