Position: Director, Sustainable Development Initiative
Company/Organization: University of Colorado Real Estate Center
Location: Boulder, CO
Description: The University of Colorado at Boulder’s Initiative for Sustainable Development (ISD) educates, activates and unites stakeholders from across the University, the West, and the nation in pursuit of the best ideas, practices and policies in the growing field of sustainable land use and real estate development. The Director of the Sustainable Development Initiative will develop an interdiscplinary initiative within the Real Estate Center that creates a center for Sustainable Development and Growth Management, including an academic program to teach growth management and sustainable development principles and practices. The Initiative will have 5 primary objectives:
* To work with the administrators and staff at the University of Colorado to acquire permanent funding for the Initiative
* To create a programmatic platform for students, faculty and staff for the application of best practices in sustainable development
* To work with for-profit and not-for-profit firms to advance the goals of the Initiative
* The teaching or selection of a teacher for the MBA level Sustainable Development and Growth Management Survey course, with an emphasis on the profit necessary for successful implementation
* To form alliances with appropriate organizations to advance the goals and objectives of the Initiative
The Director will:
* Work with University of Colorado, Leeds School of Business and CU Real Estate Center Administrators to raise funds for the endowment needed to permanently sustain the Initiative (35%)
* Create programmatic platform for students, faculty and staff for the application of best practices in sustainable development and growth management (25%)
* Teach one MBA course on Sustainable Development and Growth Management during the Spring semester. The course should emphasize economic sustainability in the implementation of growth management and sustainable development principles (20%)
* Work with private for-profit and not-for-profit firms on advancing the principles of sustainable development (10%)
* Form alliances with appropriate professional organizations (e.g., The Urban Land Institute, the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties, The Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, Colorado Conservation Trust and the Colorado Office of Smart Growth) to advance the goals and objectives of the Initiative (10%)
* Foster relationships with other departments/schools within the university
Supervision Received and Exercised:
The Director of the Sustainable Development Initiative will report to the Executive Director of the University of Colorado-Boulder Real Estate Center or their designee.
The position requires:
* Knowledge of growth management and sustainable development principles and practices;
* Teaching or selection of a teacher for an MBA course in growth management and sustainable development;
* Working with the academic and professional communities to provide long-term funding for the Initiative;
* Consulting with leading non-profits, government agencies and private firms in the sustainable development field on strategies for applications of sustainable development principles
A graduate degree in economics, finance, business, law or urban planning plus more than 1 year’s experience working with professional organizations on growth management/sustainable development issues.
An individual with an established reputation in the areas of sustainability and growth management. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated leadership in integrating environmentally sound and economically sustainable practices in real estate development. The candidate will also have signifcant experience working with land use policymakers at all levels of government. Knowledge of growth management and sustainable development issues in the State of Colorado is highly desirable.
Term: July 1, 2009-June 30, 2010
To apply for this position, please send your resume and expression of interest Attn: Sharon Montini.
CU Real Estate Center
Boulder, CO 80309
© 2009, Tracey de Morsella. All rights reserved. Do not republish.